How to write an affirmation
1. Find a quiet setting where you can be alone - When creating your affirmations, it is important to empty your mind and focus only on the areas of your life where you want to make a change.
2. Write a positive affirmation about yourself - The vocabulary you use is extremely important. It should be emotionally evocative in ways that resonate with you personally and your goals.
If you are moved by music, you might consider putting on music that will move your emotions and enhance the power of the affirmation.
3. Write in the present tense - You should be writing as though you are experiencing the person you want to be right now. This will help you realise what the future will feel like, so you are more motivated to adopt it fully.
4. Make your affirmation personal - Use the pronouns “I”, “My” or state “your name” in your affirmation. This raises your commitment and belief level.
Aim for a few better quality affirmations that have a profound impact on you rather than writing many different affirmations. This will cause you to better focus on changing a few core beliefs that affect your most important concerns.
5. Think about what you want for yourself - Imagine what it would look like for your goals to be accomplished. Write these goals down as affirmations, knowing that you can tweak them as time goes on.
Use vivid details - Similar to using vocabulary that moves you emotionally, vivid detail will also help you personalise your affirmations. Avoid abstract language as much as possible, as it will be harder to invest in your affirmation properly.
6. Try positive action language - Focus on what you want. Proactive phrasing (i.e. "I am", "I will", "I can", "I choose") will help you feel closer to your goals.
For example, instead of writing “I am not suffering from chronic fatigue”, a better choice may be, “I am completely free from chronic fatigue”. In the second example, we don't see "suffering" but instead "completely free". The same message comes across, but with more positivity.
7. Speak your affirmation out loud to yourself at least twice a day - Make a habit of reciting it once in the morning after you wake up, and once at night before you go to bed. This way you will start your day off with a clear vision of your goals, and at night you can meditate on them, too. Another option that helps you to reinforce the new belief is to write out the affirmation several times in a notebook.